Skip to main content

Hunter class

In last Monday's post I talked about the Thief and mentioned how the “backstab” ability has been moved to the Hunter class. It seems logical to me to cover the Hunter next then. So the Hunter is also found in folklore and fairytales like the Thief.  In Enchanted Kingdoms the hunter will be a character who has been trained in how to survive in the wild. For combat they have the ability to focus in bows and spears or axes and hammers. They also can take a talent that alludes to their time learning about creatures in order to hunt them. This Talent, currently called Predator, lets you roll to see how much you know about a creature when you encounter it. Each creature will have a small table that shows what information the character knows about the creature/monster and it’s abilities.  Hunters start with talents that give them bonuses to hiding and to fighting side by side with their allies. Over time they can expand their abilities to deal damage and impede the movement of their targets.

Like the Thief, the Hunter is also associated with one of the Reflection realms. The Hunter is connected to the Brightwylds which can lead them to enhance their natural abilities like sight and hearing. Or they can learn to use the Brightwylds connection to light to bend light around them,  and eventually being able to become completely invisible.

I am enjoying discussing and detailing small snippets of the classes but I could also discuss the game mechanics or some more details of the world. For example a more detailed description of the Enchanted Lands and its relflections. As a reader of my blog which of these would you like to see next? Would you like me to highlight the other character classes or talk about the world a little more?

Comments

  1. Curious as to why hammers? Doesn't seem like something a hunter would use to kill other things (as a tool though, sure).

    I would definitely do a post talking about the mechanics, and a separate post on world details (such as Reflections). That way you can link back to them when you mention them in a post (like this one) so everyone will be on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hammers are because lumberjacks also would use hammer and wedge on trees. That was the concept in my head anyways. Would it be better if it were just one talent that covered bows and axes?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knight VS Fighter a battle of talents

As things stand now, the classes in Enchanted Kingdoms do not have the same balance, as far as talent progression go, when compared to the classes in Dungeons and Delvers: Dice Pool.  As such I am planning to work with David and Melissa, the creators of that game, to have conversion tables available so that their classes can be used in EK if desired AND so that the EK classes can be used in a Dungeons and Delvers game. To illustrate this point I will compare the Knight from Enchanted Kingdoms to the Fighter from Dungeons and delvers.  They both have very similar concepts and fit the same role in each game: the armor wearing front line combatant.  In Delvers the Fighter starts with one talent and ganes a new talent at 3 rd , 7 th , and 9 th levels. At 5 th and 10 th levels they gain the ability to make an additional attack, which is essentially a very good class specific talent for those levels.  The knight appears very similar at first glance, becaused it is ne...

Release Schedule and Thief Class

So there have been a lot of changes in my life, goals, and schedule since my last post.  In my first post I mentioned wanting to post daily, that has been changed to weekly. There is still the possibility of a second post in a week if I think of something I really, really want to write about immediately, but that will be more an exception as opposed to the rule. This is to hopefully avoid burnout, a problem I am well acquainted with from past endeavors. A friend suggested this course of action and I have chosen to act on that suggestion. Secondly I have started a new certification course for my work that will be taking a lot more time than I had initially thought.  The course will be a major focus of mine up until I take the exam in July.  My hopes of possibly getting a Kickstarter up in November are gone, and February is much less likely.  I am probably going to shoot for mid to late summer 2018 at this point so that I can focus on my studies.   This is...

Enemy information and fighting robots

One of the things that I always do when I am dming is make a small table for each monster characters encounter, or at least the ones i am planning for.  Having a quick table that could be duplicated and filled was one of the things I knew I wanted right away for Enchanted Kingdoms.  Obviously this is still in developement but here is what it looks like so far: Now as you can see its currently very generic but the point is for it to serve 3 functions. 1 is what I said before easy to use and duplicate for encounter tracking. The second is that it simplifies making new enemies for the people using the game.  It boils down into it's simplest form what makes a creature and allows a person to quickly put a monster together, on the fly or in advance. The third thing has to do with the last two columns.  As a player I have long lemented the inability to know things about monsters.  You either know about the monster out of character or you dont. I have had DM's try...