Skip to main content

Enemy information and fighting robots

One of the things that I always do when I am dming is make a small table for each monster characters encounter, or at least the ones i am planning for.  Having a quick table that could be duplicated and filled was one of the things I knew I wanted right away for Enchanted Kingdoms.  Obviously this is still in developement but here is what it looks like so far:

Now as you can see its currently very generic but the point is for it to serve 3 functions. 1 is what I said before easy to use and duplicate for encounter tracking. The second is that it simplifies making new enemies for the people using the game.  It boils down into it's simplest form what makes a creature and allows a person to quickly put a monster together, on the fly or in advance.

The third thing has to do with the last two columns.  As a player I have long lemented the inability to know things about monsters.  You either know about the monster out of character or you dont. I have had DM's try and make it possible for a character to roll and see if they know anything about the creature but it was never a simple thing, and usually didn't yeild useful results; even with a high roll.  That table comprising of the last 2 columns allows players to roll and see what they know about a creature. This will allow players to use out of character knowledge without "meta-gaming" if they roll high enough, or know something potentially useful in character even if they don't out of character.  Also this table ties into one of the Hunter's class talents; . If a hunter takes this talent they add a dice to their roll? Are treated as if they were one step higher on the table?

So lets see what all of this looks like in action:

So this is not the final version of the Sabertooth Tigershark but I just threw this together as an example. I am planning on using it as a monster mascot that will show up semi regularly. Not for any other reason than that Ilike the idea hahaha.   Anyways you can see conceptually that it has its abilities info listed in an easy to access manner. The Wound bubbles can be marked off as the enemy takes damage, and the basic result of a player trying to know something about what they are facing is quick and easy as well.

The only problem will be including the lore and ability descriptors, but it would not take much to jot down those below the table. 


As I said in my last post i also want to talk about The Tranformers and The Gobots. When I was a kid I had toys from both properties. Thanks to a baby book containing notes that my mother kept I know that I loved tranforming robots from the time I was 3 to today.  I have been thinking about this because I have been watching some videos produced by the good folks at Retroblasting. The host of that youtube show? Channel? Wwhichever, has fairly negative thoughts on transformers and the way that the cartoon models did not match the toys themselves. They also talk about how for them the magic of the toys were in part imagining the robots hiding all around them, in disguise. It may be because i was younger than him but this was not the fun for me. It was having 2 toys in one. And the inherent coolness of robots.  He talks about how bad the cartoon was too but for me the Transformers cartoon was great because it wasn't all camp like many of the cartoons at the time were. It definitely was a cut above the Gobots cartoon.

Essentially the concept of transformation was what I really liked. My other favorite toyline as a kid was M.A.S.K. which had transforming vehicles. In fact if you look at my favorite Transformer, Mask Vehicle, and one of my favorite Gobots they have some commonalities. Here we have the Autobot Tracks, Gobot Stinger, and the Mask Raven.

Now they are all seemingly different from this view but if we change them to their standard car modes you will see what i mean.

Corvettes! As a kid I was a huge fan of corvettes! Tracks is extra cool because he was like part mask car and had a "flying car mode."  One thing people rightfully complain about with the transformers were that they were fragile. Iam going to have to agree with this. I remember someone in my family begrudgingly bought me a second Tracks for my birthday after Broke my first one in half.  My gobots faired better as far as durability and survivability.  Plus they were significantly cheaper to replace when the were broken. For the most part.  By the time I was old enough to be more carefull with my toys, you know like fine motor control, Transformer figures were more thick quality plastic. I never had the original Optimus Prime, but I sure loved my Powermaster Prime.

I never understood the hate for gobots, I mean the transformers show was way way better, but the toys were fun. My mom liked the Gobots show way better though. She still says "they have nicer faces." That is probably because they were made by Hanna Barbera, who was still thinking of cartoons being a more lighthearted affair. Also Sunbow which was responsible for the Transformers cartoon was working with Toei, a japanese animation studio. They had a better style, and were more edgy. Thats a plus for a kid, and a minus to a parent haha.

The thing for me was I didn't want to re-create the scenes from the shows, I wanted to make my own adventures. Honestly it didnt really matter to me what side a character was supposed to be on, if I liked the toy they were a good guy. I didnt care if I mixed the toys from different properties. I never had a Sideswipe, but I did have a Spoiler. That was fine for me. Really, I usually renamed my toys anyways, so that I could do what I wanted with the new "character."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hunter class

In last Monday's post I talked about the Thief and mentioned how the “backstab” ability has been moved to the Hunter class. It seems logical to me to cover the Hunter next then. So the Hunter is also found in folklore and fairytales like the Thief.  In Enchanted Kingdoms the hunter will be a character who has been trained in how to survive in the wild. For combat they have the ability to focus in bows and spears or axes and hammers. They also can take a talent that alludes to their time learning about creatures in order to hunt them. This Talent, currently called Predator, lets you roll to see how much you know about a creature when you encounter it. Each creature will have a small table that shows what information the character knows about the creature/monster and it’s abilities.  Hunters start with talents that give them bonuses to hiding and to fighting side by side with their allies. Over time they can expand their abilities to deal damage and impede the movement of their targ

D&D 4e with Enchantress sneak peek mixed in

A somewhat non Enchanted Worlds update today.  I recently discovered Matthew Colville on youtube.  He creates some great videos that detail tips for running games.  He is very eloquent and has worked in the game industry so he has the ability to address games from multiple perspectives. If you are thinking about running a game there is a plethora of invaluable tips in his videos.   I bring this up because I found him because of a video that actually puts into words the things that I loved about 4 th edition.  You can watch the whole video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoELQ7px9ws&index=31&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_ Now this is a long video, clocking in at almost an hour. I watch youtube at 2x speed so its not as long from that perspective. But again it is crammed with information.  He even touches briefly on some of the strengths of 5 th edition that I can actually respect.  I will most likely come back to this video again later but for the sa

Release Schedule and Thief Class

So there have been a lot of changes in my life, goals, and schedule since my last post.  In my first post I mentioned wanting to post daily, that has been changed to weekly. There is still the possibility of a second post in a week if I think of something I really, really want to write about immediately, but that will be more an exception as opposed to the rule. This is to hopefully avoid burnout, a problem I am well acquainted with from past endeavors. A friend suggested this course of action and I have chosen to act on that suggestion. Secondly I have started a new certification course for my work that will be taking a lot more time than I had initially thought.  The course will be a major focus of mine up until I take the exam in July.  My hopes of possibly getting a Kickstarter up in November are gone, and February is much less likely.  I am probably going to shoot for mid to late summer 2018 at this point so that I can focus on my studies.   This is a frustrating situation but